And yet . . .
Anticipation of the full brunt of what is coming has us all working feverishly to prepare. Kitten season has started. Soon we will be trying to find space for hundreds of tiny critters that have nowhere else to go. Adding to this sense of impending doom is the flood forecast. With flood waters expected to force many from their homes, we anticipate many calls begging for help with stranded cats. Our staff and volunteers are doing their very best to make sure that we can help as many as possible, but we need your help, too. You are the key to saving hundreds of lives this spring.
How can you help?
- Donate money: saving lives costs a lot of money. Veterinary care, rent, utilities, trained staff, food, supplies -- these all cost hundreds of thousands of dollars per year.
- Hold your own fundraising event for the cats: garage sale, bake sale, pot luck, casual day, barbeque . . .
- Come to / participate in an event: Plant sale, May 11; Whisker Walk, June 9 (whiskerwalk.ca for more details)
- Donate supplies: cat food, clumping cat litter, paper towels, disposable gloves, wood stove pellets, garbage bags, postage stamps, office supplies. Every item donated means dollars that can be reallocated to saving more lives.
- Foster: foster homes save lives. Keeping kittens out of the shelter environment until they have been well vaccinated helps keep them healthy by preventing exposure to deadly viruses. The flood forecast makes having foster homes ready and waiting all the more important.
- Adopt: every adoption helps save another life.
- Volunteer: get involved at the adoption centre, help with fundraising, answer phones, drive for pick ups, help at information booths -- there are many ways to help!
Most needed RIGHT NOW:
- KMR kitten formula
- High quality kitten kibble (please check labels -- no food colouring!)
- Canned cat food: Friskies paté, turkey & giblets, chicken, chefs' dinner, and poultry platter are best tolerated by the most cats
- Wood stove pellets (used as litter in cages)
- snuggle safe heating pucks (Amazon.ca)
- Money (vet bills, medical supplies, etc.)
You are the deciding factor in everything that happens at Craig Street Cats. Your support saves lives.